Monday, September 23, 2013

one of the actual 1964 Mercury Comets that was in the African Safari endurance trials
















you might have noticed the handles mounted to the trunk in the previous photos, I noticed that they were the only handles I've ever seen on the top of a trunk

Kevin added in the comments " I've seen those handles on rally cars before they're there so that the co driver can hold the handles and stand on the bumper and bounce the car in case they are stuck. "

And on the back bumper you can see the steps that are on either side of the license place for the co-driver to stand on





Mercury had a lot of endurance races to prove the durability of their Comet... I don't know why it was a question, or if they just needed some publicity stunts to get free press....  but here's my post about the around the world, and north to south continent runs they had these Comets do http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-1964-mercury-comet-durability-run.html

7 comments:

  1. I've seen those handles on rally cars before they're there so that the co driver can hold the handles and stand on the bumper and bounce the car in case they are stuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing that out Kevin, until you mentioned that, I hadn't realized on the back bumper you can see the steps that are on either side of the license place for the co-driver to stand on

      Delete
  2. Cool..I saw this car at the recent Coronado Speed Festival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's where I just took these photos, and I have a lot more coverage of the Speedfest to get posted, but it'll take a lot of time. What did you enjoy most about the Speedfest, what racecar were you enjoying most?

      Delete
  3. Hi there, sorry to ask. What was the original racing number of that comet? If it was originally number 81, it belonged and was raced in the 1964 east african safari by my grandfather Peter walker. I would love to find the owners of this and have a chat. I have been searching for this vehicle for a long time! Any help would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there guys, just wanting to ask. What was the racing number that comet had on it in 1964. If it was number 81 it then was driven and raced by my grandfather Peter Walker. I would love to find the owner of this vehicle and have a chat. Any help or information would be great. My email is darrynwalker@gmail.com I have been searching for this car for a long long long time. I hope it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. click on the 3rd photo from the bottom, that will make it full size. Now, what do you see on the door of the car, in the photo in the upper left of the photo album cover? An 81, that is correct. And in the 5th photo from the bottom, click on it, full size, and what is the number on the big yellow and black sticker on the trunk? Another 81. Cha Ching! Yes ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

      Delete