Friday, December 16, 2016

the only known factory-built ’64 Dodge Race Hemi wagon. With perfect 50/50 front/rear weight distribution, the Hemi Wagon didn’t need wheelbase manipulation to gather trophies, but it had a 17 year old driver.


His father, Harry Baker, ran Harry Baker Motors, a small but successful Chrysler-Plymouth dealership in Newton, Kansas. He was in the Army Air Force during WWII and was a ball turret gunner aboard a B-17. That was one of the most vulnerable positions on the aircraft, but he made it through thirty combat missions over Germany without a scratch. Right after the war ended, Dad came home, started selling cars in 1946, and married his sweetheart.

The 426 Race Hemi was huge news in 1964. To launch it, Chrysler Corp. built approximately 50 Dodge lightweight sedans, 12 steel-nose hardtops, and this 440-series station wagon. It was first campaigned by son of the President of the Mopar parts division, and Dodge Vice President


At the 1964 NHRA Indy Nationals it won B/FX, the A, B, and C Factory Experimental rules did not require quantity production. They only called for the use of approved factory-sourced parts, which could be mixed and matched at will by factory engineers.


The race-ready wagon was sold to Harry Baker Motors before the end of the 1964 season.


Full story and gallery at http://www.hotrod.com/articles/factory-built-64-hemi-wagon-really-happened/
http://www.overdrive.fi/forum/threads/vanhoja-valokuvia-ameriikan-raitilta.267070/page-317#post-3070541

http://www.overdrive.fi/forum/threads/vanhoja-valokuvia-ameriikan-raitilta.267070/page-786#post-3197450

7 comments:

  1. I owned this car in 1973.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that is cool! DO you have photos or stories to share?

      Delete
    2. I am Tim Baker. My father was Harry Baker. I am interested in the history of the wagon after dad sold it. Please let me know how to talk to you. My email is tab4life@comcast.com. Thanks!

      Delete
    3. that email doesn't work, so I'll just reply here:
      you've already seen the article I made about a very unique and cool station wagon.

      What is it you think I do? Or can do? Or know? The history of the wagon other than what I already posted?

      Delete
    4. Someone replied they owned the Hemi -Wagon in 1973. PLEASE email me at tab4life@comcast.net. I just want info. I might have some you would like to know.

      Delete
    5. I doubt you'll hear from them, but I hope you do. I think it would be cool if people who owned the same car could get in touch.
      Good luck! There's nothing I can do but tell you to reply to the other person's comment, and now that you've done that, you've accomplished all I can think of to do to get in contact with them.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete